Parents, guardians, and families can play an important role in the well-being and success of students by helping them make decisions and by influencing their behavior. When appropriate, parents, guardians, and families should:
- Carefully evaluate health and safety information related to the program, as provided by the sponsor and other sources.
- Be involved in your student’s decision to apply for a particular program.
- Have a thorough discussion with your student about his or her safety, behavior, insurance needs, and emergency procedures.
- Encourage your student to be responsible about alcohol use while abroad. Alcohol is involved in a significant number of incidents that occur abroad.
- Respond quickly to program sponsor requests for information.
- Keep in touch with your student throughout the planning process and their time abroad.
- Be aware that some information may most appropriately be provided to you by your student rather than the program.
Your student is responsible to read and understand the following information: